Young Adults

  • We know that just because your child is now legally an adult (18 yrs or over), doesn’t mean you stop worrying about them. Starting college, university or a new job can be a time of huge stress and some young people develop emotional or mental health problems. All places of further education and some large employers will offer mental health support, including counselling. If they don’t, your son or daughter can see a GP for mental health support and be referred for counselling. Your child will need to register with a new GP or the Student Health Service if they have moved away. There is also a lot of very good self-help information available both on the internet and in books, which can help people connect with eachother, feel less alone and understand more about their condition.
    (see also Confidentiality)
  • Many of the resources in other sections of this website are relevant for over 18’s and parents of over 18’s. We have added some of the best and most useful young adult mental health websites and links below.

Mental health and wellbeing websites

  • OnMyMind: This website has a search facility for local resources such as counsellors using your postcode, a ‘jargon buster’ for medical terms, information on referrals and treatment for both young people and their families. https://www.annafreud.org/on-my-mind/
  • Bristol Mind has a comprehensive list of links including local and national helplines for young adults themselves as well as parents. https://bristolmind.org.uk/advice-resources/
  • Mind Charity (national) has an excellent A to Z of mental health topics incuding information on medication, sleep problems, helplines and a "your stories" section 
  • Savethestudent.org
    A good article looking at a common mental health problems at university, where to get help including advice on money problems, and tips on looking after yourself.
  • The Mix support for under 25’s with a helpline, online 1-2-1 chat, articles and blogs on everything from mental health, to relationships, sex, drugs, money and jobs. 
  • The Charlie Waller Memorial Trust: This charity have produced some great resources in conjunction with young people particularly on depression and self-harm .There are dowloadable leaflets for both young people themselves as well as parents or carers and some very helpful videos. Recommended.
  • YoungMinds: Supporting under 25's and their parents, this website has blogs on topics such as how to support your child starting university, exam stress, anxiety at college or university and more. 

Work, college and student resources


HappyMaps use cookies for.....