As well as the helplines below you will find other helplines listed under specific topics e.g for sleepless babies, anxiety or eating disorders.
- YoungMinds Parent line 0808 802 5544 Monday-Friday 9.30-4pm. Outside of these hours you can also e-mail for advice on their contact form.
- Family Lives - 0808 800 2222 Telephone line staffed by trained therapists can offer emotional support, information, advice and guidance on any aspect of parenting and family life. The helpline service is open 9am – 9pm, Monday to Friday and 10am – 3pm Saturday and Sunday. There is also the option of live chat and e-mail if you are unable to get through on email@example.com.
For children and young people
- Childline www.childline.org.uk Not just for young children, Childline offers a helpline, online chat and e-mail advice for anyone up to the age of 19 years. Their website is useful for parents too. Call 0800 1111
- YoungMinds Crisis textline: Text the YoungMinds Crisis Messenger, for free 24/7 support across the UK if you are experiencing a mental health crisis. If you need urgent help text YM to 85258. All texts are answered by trained volunteers, with support from experienced clinical supervisors. Texts are free from EE, O2, Vodafone, 3, Virgin Mobile, BT Mobile, GiffGaff, Tesco Mobile and Telecom Plus.
- The Mix for under 25’s Tel: 0808 808 4994 also offer on-line chat and text messaging. https://www.themix.org.uk
- Kooth An excellent website which also offers online counselling and support on an on-line community for young people. www.kooth.com