Preschool age under 5 years
There is a huge amount of advice on what you should and shouldn’t do to help your baby, toddler or preschooler to eat, sleep or behave and, as you will already have discovered, there is no single method that works for everybody. It's all about finding what feels right for you and your family, and to help you we have selected a few resources for each topic which have been recommended by other parents and by professionals.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page for topics e.g. sleep, toileting, fussy eaters and more.
General books for parents of under 5's
Many books for parents of babies and toddlers seem to suggest that there is only one right way to do things which can easily make parents feel more rather than less stressed ! Of course, experience shows that what works for one child may not work for another, as most parents who have had more than one child would agree. The following books are recommended because they suggest a variety of strategies rather than just one way of doing things.
- The Incredible Years - A Trouble -Shooting guide for Parents of Children aged 2-8 years by C. Webster-Stratton. "It’s quite a long book but you can easily dip in and find short chapters relevant to you and your child and the advice is simple and practical" (Parent) Take a look here
- How to Talk so Little Kids will Listen : A Survival Guide for Life with Children aged 2-7yrs by Joanna Faber and Julie King "It changed my life!" (Parent) Take a look and read reviews here
General resources for parents of under 5's
- Family Lives is a charity for parents with guidance, videos, blogs and even a forum for parents to chat and share problems. There is a big section for babies and toddlers. Helpline 0808 800 2222
- Parentchannel Videos are a great resource on behaviour, learning and wellbeing. Once you've chosen your age group and the first video starts playing, click on 'PLAYLIST' in the top left corner to see the other videos in that list. They can be found on: https://www.familylives.org.uk/how-we-can-help/parentchannel-tv/
- Young Minds parents survival guide https://youngminds.org.uk/find-help/for-parents/parents-survival-guide/
- Children's centres are for children under 5 yrs and their parents and offer all sorts of support and activities. Many offer childcare, play sessions, exercise classes, baby massage, parenting classes and also advice on money and other support and training for parents. Find your local one by visiting your city council website.
- Hoop App- find everything going on for kids in your area from babies to 11 years https://hoop.co.uk
- Enjoy your baby Free online course from the "Living Life To The Full" team. Helping mums make positive changes in their lives and enjoy new parenthood https://llttf.com/home/enjoy-series/enjoy-your-baby-2/