Young Adults

This page is both for parents and young people. We also have a 'self-help for young people' page here

Parents - we know that just because your child is now legally an adult (18+ yrs), doesn’t mean you stop worrying about them. Starting college, university or a new job can be a time of considerable stress and some young people develop emotional or mental health problems. Some may have had mental health problems when they were younger and you may be worrying about how they can access support away from home.

All places of further education and some large employers will offer mental health support, including counselling. If they don’t, young people can see a GP for advice and signposting to local counselling options. They will need to register with a new GP or a Student Health Service if they have moved away. There is also a lot of very good self-help information available both on the internet and in books, which can help people connect with eachother, feel less alone and understand more about their condition. 

(See also Confidentiality)

Have a look at the secondary school section too as many of the resources are also relevant for over 18’s and parents of over 18’s. We have added some of the best and most useful young adult mental health websites and links below.

Text support in a crisis

Shout A texting support line run by trained volunteers for anyone of any age who needs some urgent help in a crisis. Text SHOUT to 85258
Read more here including how it works and some tips on texting. See also the helpline section for other options.

Finding local counselling or support groups

OnMyMind: This website has a search facility for local resources such as counsellors using your postcode, a ‘jargon buster’ for medical terms, information on referrals and treatment for both young people and their families. https://www.annafreud.org/on-my-mind/

Hub of Hope: Put in your postcode and get a list of local organisations, counsellors, support groups and charities https://hubofhope.co.uk/

Mental health and wellbeing websites (general)

  • Bristol Mind has a comprehensive list of links including local and national helplines for young adults themselves as well as parents. https://bristolmind.org.uk/advice-resources/
  • Mind Charity (national) has an excellent A to Z of mental health topics incuding information on medication, sleep problems, helplines and a "your stories" section 
  • The Mix support for under 25’s with a helpline, online 1-2-1 chat, articles and blogs on everything from mental health, to relationships, sex, drugs, money and jobs. 
  • YoungMinds: Supporting under 25's and their parents, this website has blogs on topics such as how to support your child starting university, exam stress, anxiety at college or university and more. 

Starting University or College?

  • Student Minds - new guide for starting university here with advice on time management, study skills, relationships, addiction, identity, mental illness and where to go for help if you need it.
  • Student Minds also has blogs, news and a parents section with topics such as "how can I support my child from a distance?" or "what if my child has to interrupt or leave their studies?"
    Find it here
  • Savethestudent.org A good article looking at a common mental health problems at university, where to get help including advice on money problems, and tips on looking after yourself.
  • Students Against Depression. This website has support for students and those who may be looking after them or worried about them including friends and family. https://www.studentsagainstdepression.org
  • Student Health App (free)  This App has advice on everything from first aid, common medical problems, travel, mental health and more. https://www.expertselfcare.com/health-apps/student-health-app/
  • Student Wellbeing  A series of illustrated pocketbooks written by Dr. D Thompson with practical advice and top tips for parents and students, especially those going into their first year. The series includes Resourcefulness, Anxiety, Depression and Staying Well and Safe. See more here

Work, study and apprenticeship resources

HappyMaps use cookies for.....