Talking to young children about divorce and separation
- What to tell the children about divorce or separation
Sensible advice on what to tell your children from the Family Lives team.
- Relate has some good suggestions on their website and also runs parent sessions in some areas to help you give age-appropriate information to your child
Practical advice and support for you
- Information about family mediation, custody and child arrangement orders
- Click Online relationship support from experts and the community. Advice and other people’s stories on coping as a single parent, parenting together when you’re separated, telling your children about a new partner and much more
- Divorceaid has lots of recommendations on support for you and your child or children and links to other websites, books and leaflets.
- Gingerbread supports single-parent families with heaps of practical advice and a section on support for you and your child or children if you’re going through a separation.
- Living with Mum and Living with Dad; My Two Homes by Melanie Walsh. Excellent for young children.
- The Positive Parenting Project has a list of more books for ages 2-7 years