When parents separate, it’s hard for the whole family. Scroll down for help and advice for parents, including practical information, and a section for children and young people
Talking to your children about divorce or separation
It can be difficult to know how to tell your children about divorce or separation, especially when you may be struggling with painful emotions. It is helpful to remember that at any age, your child is likely to feel a sense of loss and grief. They may feel angry, guilty, sad or anxious, and they may take their feelings out on their parents. The links below include good support for you and your child or children, plus information on legal aspects and some helplines.
- DivorceAid – support for you and your child or children and links to other websites, books and leaflets
- My partner and I are separating and I’m worried the kids will suffer Relate has a good website and also run parent sessions in some areas with guidance.
- Talking to your child or children about divorce or separation.Sensitive advice for children of different ages.
- Learning to Live as a Family post-divorce; A Personal Story
- Information about family mediation, custody and child arrangement orders
- Gingerbread: support for single-parent families with heaps of practical advice and a section on support for you and your child or children if you’re going through a separation.
- Living in temporary accommodation – a survival guide from the Anna Freud Centre- written by parents who have lived in temporary accommodation and know what you might be going through
What to tell the children about divorce or separation ages 7-14 yrs
My mum and dad are divorcing or separating
If you’re finding things really tough in your family, read more here. You can also talk to someone on the phone or chat safely online; just click over to our under-12-years support page
- My parents are always fighting and I don’t have anyone to talk to
- Dealing with Divorce and separation– find advice and support for young people on The Mix website
- Getting used to stepfamilies and second families
- Family relationships: finding support if you’re having problems in your family
- DivorceAid – Are your parents splitting up? Are you feeling low?
- When Bad Things Happen